White Chocolate Vanilla Mousse Cake
And again I am baking! Also a mousse cake this time. A friend of mine asked me if I would make a Lidl theme cake (Lidl is a discount supermarket chain in Europe). Of course I was more than willing to make the cakes. And what is better than one cake? Two cakes!
The bottom is a coconut sablée with tempered white chocolate on top. The sides are made with a joconde with a blue and yellow pate décor. In the middle of the cake is a raspberry puree layer.
The base for the white chocolate mousse is a crème anglaise. For the top I made a lemon gelee. The Lidl logo is made with fondant and the writing with tempered chocolate.
Here’s the recipe for the mousse:
White chocolate mousse
250 ml milk
15 gram sugar
57 gram egg yolks
1 vanilla bean
6.5 gram gelatin
477 gram white chocolate
730 ml heavy cream
- Bloom the gelatin in cold water and reserve.
- Melt the white chocolate and reserve.
- Whip the heavy cream to soft peak and reserve.
- Make a crème anglaise with the milk, vanilla, sugar and egg yolks.
- Strain the crème anglaise through a fine chinois into a clean and dry bowl, add the bloomed gelatin. Stir to emulsify.
- Add the melted white chocolate to the crème anglaise, and form an emulsion.
- When this mixture reaches 27°C, fold in the soft peak whipped cream. Use right away!
Recipe from the book ‘Advanced bread and pastry’ from Michel Suas